Saturday 25 May 2013

Automatic linkrot solutions?

Automatic linkrot solutions?

Linkrot is a major problem on the Internet. When I construct a page, or write a blog post, I often use external links to provide information or support a point. Sadly, however, the linked pages often move or die, causing me to have to comb through my site to find and fix (or delete) bad links. It seems to me that, in this Age of Automation, there ought to be a better way.
Has anyone found a good (or at least decent) solution to this problem? How about a service that automatically archives the contents of any page you link to so that it can be hosted locally if the original page moves, dies or changes? Or a way to automatically reformat any dead links to go to the appropriate archive.org page?

No comments:

Post a Comment